So some mommy’s prefer breastfeeding and some prefer bottle feeding all good choices but I know most moms rather suggest breastfeeding but why? Well I breast fed my little one because of the following reasons.
Breastfeeding advantages for you as an mother:
*The strongest bond is formed between you and your little one when breastfeeding.
*Breastfeeding helps you relax and makes you feel less stressed.
*Breastfeeding causes you to loose weight, mostly all the baby weight you gained during pregnancy.
*Breastfeeding helps return your uterus to its normal size, and lessens the bleeding after giving birth.
*Breastfeeding mothers show less post-partum depression.
*Breastfeeding can delay the return of your period, some woman do have their period while breastfeeding. Breast feeding is not a fool proof method of contraception.
*Breastfeeding may help reduce the risk for breast and ovarian cancer.
*Breastfeeding is free so money is saved.
Some mommy’s don’t know how to store breast milk, espesially an first time mommy. Well here is how to:
* 6-8 hours at room temperature
* 24 hours in an insulated bag with ice packs
* 5 days in a refrigerator
* 6-12 months in a freezer (use BPA-free containers) e.g. Avent breast milk bags see photo.
Don’t warm or thaw in a microwave rather leave in the fridge to defrost. Once thawed do not refreeze, but it can be stored in the fridge for 24 hours, then discard.
Benefits for breastfeeding your little one are:
* Your breast milk is specially designed for your little one, it can’t be replicated.
* Everything that is healthy for your baby is in your breast milk like suger, fat, antibodies, immune factors, enzymes and white blood cells.
* Breast milk lowers the chances of:
•Urinary tract infection
•Atopic dermatitis and allergies
* Breastfeeding may enhance your little one brain development.
* Premature little one’s benefit from breast milk as it builds strength and helps to protect them from infection.
* The first breast milk (colostrum) lines your little one’s stomach and intestines as a defence against bacteria and viruses.
* If your baby does not want to take to your breast you can express your milk, with an breast pump and give it to them via other means e.g bottle feed
Personally I have found that Tommee tippee bottles and teats work best as it is the closest shaped to an mommy’s teat.
What works for the sore and irritated nipples when breastfeeding, I have found that bepanthen works best as your little one can still drink via your breast when you have the nipple cream on.
First time mommy’s think about breastfeeding because breast is best, but it remains your decision.
S.A. MOM BLOGGER